Jumpstart/Refresher Watercolor Basics – Onsite Class (Ages 13+)
- This event has passed.
DateDecember 11, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Time10:00 am - 04:00 pm
10091 McGregor Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33919 United States
Member's Price $140
Non-Member's Price $168
Add to your calendarGoogle Calendar iCal Export
Want to hear about more events like this?Sign up for our newsletter
This six-hour introductory workshop provides a solid understanding of important basic watercolor techniques and theory for beginner watercolorists and those who feel they want a “refresher” course. Some drawing experience is helpful but not essential. There will be instructional lecture time with ample “hands on” instructor assistance. Written handouts for reference will be sent prior to class. In this session students will:
- Create a basic color palette
- Learn the different types of brushes and how to use them to achieve the desired effect as well as proper brush care
- Learn color mixing
- Explore the color wheel and the use of analogous and complementary colors
- Be introduced to various types of watercolor paper
- Learn how to properly prepare lighter weight paper for painting (stretching)
- Understand the concept of “the rule of thirds” and finding a “focal point”
- Discover the unique properties of watercolor versus other painting mediums
- Be introduced to the importance of perspective
- Work with the effective use of light to produce shadows and reflections
- Study the principles of design and composition and the role of “value”
- Learn the importance of basic drawing skills
- Produce a compositionally balanced 11 x 14 watercolor painting
Students are encouraged to bring a snack.
Brushes: Medium size flat or wash brush; small flat brush; small and large rounds.
Suggested Paints or Equivalent:
Basic Palette Colors
New Gamboge or Yellow Ochre
Lemon Yellow or Cadmium Yellow
French Ultramarine Blue or Cobalt Blue
Optional Additional Colors (These are not required since we can make our brown and grey from the basic palette colors. Some people like to use these however.)
Van Dyke Brown
Recommended brands: Daniel Smith and Winsor Newton
Watercolor Paper: One sheet of 11×14, 140 lb, 200 lb or 300 lb cold pres
Please note: this class is hosted onsite in our classroom. If you are joining us for onsite programming, we ask that you adhere to signage and procedures posted on our campus. Face masks are required at all times and you are advised to keep 6 feet (2 meters) between you and others. Class size is limited .