Jump Start – Watercolor Basics (Ages 13+)
- This event has passed.
DateApril 27, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Time10:00 am - 04:00 pm
10091 McGregor Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33919 United States
Member's Price $120
Non-Member's Price $150
Supply Fee $35 if renting supplies
Add to your calendarGoogle Calendar iCal Export
Want to hear about more events like this?Sign up for our newsletter
This six-hour introductory workshop provides a solid understanding of important basic watercolor techniques and theory for beginner watercolorists and those who feel they want a “refresher” course. Some drawing experience is helpful but not essential. There will be instructional lecture time with ample “hands on” instructor assistance. This workshop condenses two previous 4 hour workshops into a day-long session where students will:
- Create a basic color palette
- Learn the different types of brushes and how to use them to achieve the desired effect as well as proper brush care
- Learn color mixing
- Explore the color wheel and the use of analogous and complementary colors
- Be introduced to various types of watercolor paper
- Learn how to properly prepare lighter weight paper for painting (stretching)
- Understand the concept of “the rule of thirds” and finding a “focal point”
- Discover the unique properties of watercolor versus other painting mediums
- Be introduced to the importance of perspective
- Work with the effective use of light to produce shadows and reflections
- Study the principles of design and composition and the role of “value”
- Learn the importance of basic drawing skills
- Produce a compositionally balanced 11 x 14 watercolor painting
Bring a snack or bag lunch.
Supply list: Supplies can be rented from the instructor for a $35 fee or students may bring their own.
Medium size flat or wash brush
Small flat brush
Small and large rounds
Suggested Paints or Equivalent:
New Gamboge or Yellow Ochre
French Ultramarine Blue
Optional: Payne’s Grey, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna
1 sheet of 11×14”; 200, or 300lb cold pressed watercolor paper
Lighter weight paper should be stretched prior to workshop.
Paper is available from instructor with prior notice
Soft pencil for sketching
Palette for mixing paint