Creating Luminous Flowers in Watercolor (ages 13+)
- This event has passed.
DateMarch 19 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Time10:00 am - 02:00 pm
10091 McGregor Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33919 United States
Member's Price $85
Non-Member's Price $107
Want to hear about more events like this?Sign up for our newsletter
This workshop explores ways to paint flowers with a fresh luminous glow. The purity of watercolor is ideal for capturing raw, clean colors, and delicate petals. The translucent paint allows the white of the paper to shine through like light through a stained-glass window. Time will be spent selecting appropriate backgrounds for a variety of flower compositions, including leaves and stems. There will be an instructor lecture with ample time for individual hands on practice prior to completing a radiant floral painting.
- Learn proper placement of flowers to achieve focal point interest
- Explore various techniques to produce textural effects
- Understand the importance of “saving the white” of your paper
- Select the best background to complete the overall painting
- Mix a variety of green color combinations for leaves and stems
- Draw various leaf shapes
- Produce an 8×10 or 11×14 painting utilizing these techniques
Supply List: Supplies can be rented from the instructor with prior notice for a $35 fee or students may bring their own. Email Shirley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medium size flat or wash brush
- Small flat brush
- Small and large rounds
Suggested Paints or Equivalent:
- Alizarin Crimson
- Permanent Rose (or other transparent rose)
- New Gamboge
- French Ultramarine Blue or Cobalt Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Optional: Payne’s Grey, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna
- 140 lb, 200 lb, or 300 lb cold pressed watercolor paper. (140 lb. paper should be stretched PRIOR to workshop)
- Bring enough for practice and a prepared 11×14 sheet with an appropriate support board.
- Water container
- Paper towels
- Soft pencil for sketching
- Kneaded eraser
- Ruler (optional)
- Old toothbrush
- Natural sponge
- Palette for mixing paint