Expressive Painting in Oil/Cold Wax Medium (Ages 16+)
- This event has passed.
DateMarch 3, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Time10:00 am - 04:30 pm
Reoccurs 3-Day Workshop 3/03/20 - 3/05/20
10091 McGregor Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33919 United States
Member's Price $450
Non-Member's Price $563
Supply Fee $20
Can’t make this one? See All Upcoming Classes
Add to your calendarGoogle Calendar iCal Export
Want to hear about more events like this?Sign up for our newsletter
Pre-registration deadline to ensure class minimum is Feb. 6!
This workshop is for beginner to intermediate artists who want to learn how to create a good foundation, texture, and layers with oil and cold wax and also for artists who want to continue exploration into pushing their paintings further. Introductory techniques for oil and cold wax will be demonstrated/demoed as needed for those new to the medium and more advanced techniques will be shared for those who already have some experience. An emphasis will be placed on creating paintings with surface history, powerful composition, and unique color mixes. Students will work on panels and paper, and do various exercises to explore the concepts of sophisticated color mixes, good compositional design, and what YOU want to express in your paintings! In this workshop you will engage in discussions and demos, studio painting time, and receive individual critique concerning your own person direction in art making.
Supply list: $20 supply fee to be paid directly to instructor in addition to the following…
- Cold wax will be provided for your $20 supply fee. Instructor will also bring other fun materials for you to sample and try.
- Oil paints – an assortment of oil paint colors
- 10-15 Artists pre-gessoed panels (Recommended: Ampersand gessoboard or Cheap Joe’s pre-gessoed panels in various sized. They can be cradled or flat per your preference.) Your speed of work will determine how many panels you will need.
- Those with experience in oil/cold wax can bring larger panels and an Arches oil paper pad.
- Those new to the process the following is suggested: 12×12” pre-gessoed panels and Arches Oil Paper pads in 12×16 or 9×12
- You will need BOTH panels and paper.
- Trowel or offset style knife – 4” (Instructor will have these for sale.)
- Scrapers with silicone blades – the dough scrapers found in kitchen shops, squeegees/scrapers, Princeton Creative Catalyst scrapers #1 or # 6 are all good choices. (Instructor will have these for sale.)
- Gamsol and a container/spray bottle
- 4” soft brayer (Instructor will have these for sale.)
- Oil sticks in your favorite colors
- Rags or paper towels and wet wipes
- Anything you find interesting to make texture in paint – stencils, stamps, string, grid, mesh, etc. and your favorite collage paper if you would like to add collage to your pieces.
- Mark making tools – Caran d’Ache crayons, soft pastels, graphite pencils, charcoal pencils, Art Graf, Stabilo crayons, etc.
- Artist apron or shirt and gloves
- 1 and 2” blue or white painter’s tape
- Freezer paper or palette
- Wax paper for transporting wet paintings