Alla Prima Portrait in Oil – Onsite Class
DateMay 8 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Time09:30 am - 03:30 pm
10091 McGregor Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33919 United States
Member's Price $120
Non-Member's Price $14
Want to hear about more events like this?Sign up for our newsletter
One-day intensive focused on the traditional method of “Alla Prima”painting of the portrait from life in oil. “Alla Prima” is a direct painting technique that challenges the artist to apply distinct brush strokes with few revisions for a fresh impression of the subject.
The process will begin with a thin, umber notan or tonal drawing in paint, whereupon color is then applied with regard to light direction and its interaction with form. Students will complete one small portrait sketch. Basic color theory and paint handling will be covered.
*Model Fee Included
Recommended Colors: (Winsor & Newton Artist Oil Color or similar brand):
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow
- Burnt Sienna
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
- Odorless Solvent in sealable container
- Rags/Paper Towels
- Wooden palette or similar surface for paint mixing
- Assortment of synthetic soft sable brushes (long handle) sizes 0-6, synthetic or nylon, rounds and filbert style
- 9×12 – 11×14 gray toned linen, canvas or panel with smooth surface. Tone should be semi-opaque application of neutral gray mid-tone value.
- Palette Knife (2-1/4” blade – somewhat fine point; Reference: Lowell Cornel
- (Optional) Mahl stick to steady hand
Please note: this class is hosted onsite in our classroom. If you are joining us for onsite programming, we ask that you adhere to signage and procedures posted on our campus. Face masks are required at all times and you are advised to keep 6 feet (2 meters) between you and others. Class size is limited to 10 students and 1 instructor so register today to ensure your spot to create with us!